Saturday, May 14, 2005

Rattus serendipitus


I’ve been thinking about this most of the day, carrying it around with me. It’s hot as hell here, nearly. The kids wanted to swim and I wanted some shade over the pool steps for them, so went searching for the umbrella base I knew was in the storage building out back. I couldn’t find it, but spotted a Christmas tree stand and was reaching in for that, hoping not to disturb any sleeping Widows. I could feel my flip-flops starting to slide---time to put those away---they melt on pavement in summer. Just as my fingertips touched the plastic stand, I caught that unmistakable sickly-sweet smell. Dead Rat.

OK. Right. I’m not a believer in fate, or serendipity, but here she was, a dark reminder for me to be sure I ‘m sure about what I think about rats. I couldn’t tell how she died. Her eyes were gone and the heat and ants were quickly clearing the scene. But I hoped it was better than the rat in the trap. I hoped it was quick. I took a good, long look at her paws.
So like us, rats.

Here was me not writing about rats. Later, I'll try not writing about something else.

G'night

No comments: