Friday, April 15, 2005

Friday - burning the angel


Burning the current angel. I love this part. The whooshing of the exhaust fans and the bubbling and cracking on the surface. Fun stuff. I see so much more in these pieces than I can possibly convey. My grandmother used to say this weird thing: "Little Habits have long, long tails". It's the basis for the little blue monster featured on the, er, "Corporate" page of my website. Only now do I truly understand how far back things can go. Sculpting angels and setting them afire has become a regular part of my schedule. I don't mind terribly.

3 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

They always look great when you're done but I have to admit that it must take a great deal of courage to spend the time sculpting and then fire up the torch!

Anonymous said...

Wait, wait, wait ... you mean the beautiful angel hanging on the wall above me was burned? Where? Why? I love the "nuts and bolts" stuff you talk about; it's all so strange to me because I know nothing about the process. But the results are incredible.

lisa said...

Miss Bliss: Why the burning? The angels are based on the original concept called "Relic" which involves a piece of art rescued from a burning house. I've written about the experience before, and will again. I'm working on an art book with images and essays about artistic mania. Carl: You could call it courage if you like. Sometimes I've heard it referred to by another name. I have, I'll admit, learned the hard way to keep a water sprayer in one hand, finger on the trigger. Pam: Yes, your angel was torched. That's where the effects on the frame come from. The burning of the angel is sort of like putting my seal on the work. It ties it permanently to the profound experience from which it comes. And, we likessss burning it, my precioussss...