Saturday, December 11, 2010

Saturday simple


It's 5:10 in the afternoon and I'm lying on my bed listening to the muffled sounds of the household. A wave of contentment washes over me.

I'm sleepy. I drove Orion to Ontario, CA to the birthday party of his friend Sophia. Orion and Sophia have been friends 'for ages' he says. It was fun and long and driving in the sun makes me sleepy.

This is a busy season for Poppet Planet and I have a ton of work in the studio. It would've been really easy to think I didn't have time to drive to Ontario. But that would just be stupid.

The good thing about Poppets is that they tend to take things out of context. I've begun to see a lot more like Poppets. Life is better because of that and I'm grateful. We humans tend to clutch our context like the last shred of anything in a windstorm. Silly humans. Context is created in our own minds. Sometimes it's the best thing in the world to let it go. Sometimes it's the best thing in the world to see the present moment as exactly what it appears to be.

I'm driving my son to a birthday party on a beautiful day in Southern California. We are surrounded by picturesque mountains and palm trees. We have XM radio and air bags and new tires. There is a lovely gift in the back seat.

We are two lucky humans.

Spencer is making something with crabs. When I got home, the house smelled like, well, crab. But now the scents are making sense. The house no longer smells like crab---it smells like a really fine restaurant. I can live with that.

Arthur C. Clarke taught us that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Of course this is true. Sometimes, my computer seems like magic. So does my television, Netflix, the Wii, my phone,even. I know they're not magic. I know that with enough effort, I could learn the 'ins and outs' of how they work.
Still I will always love machines. Mechanical things with parts that move.
This typewriter. This old Royal 10. I can see exactly how everything works. It's efficient, it's charming and I'm in love. The ribbons came in today. We are, as they say, in business.

It's 9:30 and this house is full of kids in pj's running around and avoiding bedtime in every possible way. I hear them laughing down the hallway. Soosi capers about. Bugs Bunny sings Barber of Seville from the dining room. There is definitely an element of chaos.

A wave of contentment washes over me.

Today was a good day.


No comments: