Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Primer, and...stuff

A few days ago we watched “Primer”, an independent film directed by Shane Carruth. P R I M E R M O V I E It's an obviously low budget film, but very well shot. I’m planning to watch it again, sans toddler climbing (noisily) all over Pete during the viewing. I missed a bit. It is a film that at first appears to be about time travel but is really about multiple universes/realities. Primer is hard science fiction to the extreme, but I think does a good job of exploring a complex concept. Oddly, the first thing about the film that struck me personally wasn’t an essential part of the story at all. The story’s protagonists are two geeky engineer types who are working out of one of the pair’s garage. These guys walked into the garage every day in shirts and ties---even on ‘no day job’ days---and worked with the same attitude you’d see in a first rate physics lab. I was thinking about this while working today, looking around at the ‘purposeful chaos’ of the studio and realized I’d like to treat my studio in the manner of Abe and Aaron. Now, I don’t have any plans to show up in better clothes. Even when the studio is immaculate, the work is messy. But a more consistant work schedule would be good. That assistant I keep knowing I need would be better, the professional attitude wouldn’t hurt, at least on Tuesdays.
I’d guess that a lot of artists work in studios attached or inside of their homes. It’s less expensive than studio space and infinitely more convenient. That said, working at home requires a extra dose of self disipline. Sometimes I forget to respect my work space. I’m nearly finished with every single piece of sculpture I have orders for or owe people for this or that. I think tomorrow, when the last of the work is boxed and ready to ship out, I might give the space a good tidy-up, bring in a coffee maker and clean cups and refresh the music supply. Yes, it’s a right-brained profession and most of us in it are a little nutty. Still, it is a profession. Pretty cool one too.

Oh---and writers, you’re not off the hook. That saying about the clean desk isn’t actually true…


I wanted to thank everyone so far who has submitted work for Tiny Stories. The more I get to know you, the more you blow me away. I’m looking forward to doing some “live” right-brain aerobics in the future---both online (I’d bet my luggage Ravyn just peered evilly at this over her glasses) and as part of convention programming. And extra, extra thanks to everyone who listed or mentioned the project on your websites. SlaughterHouse Studios: Tiny Stories

Happy Summer Everyone

g'night



No comments: