Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Shake and Bake. Again.

Well, there you go. We've got fires to the west of us. We're in no danger, thankfully, but we can smell and see the smoke and ash blowing in the wind. And tonight, while I was giving Orion a bath, the house got a good rattle. Aubrey came out of her room.
"Earthquake?"
"You bet."
"You're going to check your email now, I guess."
"Yup."
"Mom, you're such a geek."
"Indeed."
"Beachfront property. Any day now."

And, faithful as ever, a computer-generated Caltech Seismology Dept shake map was in my inbox, showing a 4.2 about 27 miles south.

The winds have been wicked all day. I took Orion to the park in the afternoon and the kids ducked and covered for blowing sand several times.

Then there were the devastating storms in Virginia this week. Now a bit of CNN ought to put me right in the mood to hide under the covers with my Poppets.


Funny how it doesn't quite work that way. Seems the more aware I become of the uncertainty and sadness the world is, the more I appreciate every good thing
here and now.

Create, live, play, learn.
But for now, sleep.

Take care out there, all of you, but don't forget the occasional joyful abandon. Find something that resonates and go hog-wild.

g'night

2 comments:

Craig Steffen said...

I often find your posts inspiring and interesting, Lisa, but this comment particularly strikes a note:

Take care out there, all of you, but don't forget the occasional joyful abandon. Find something that resonates and go hog-wild.

I think that one might go on my wall. Something to be reminded of when the job is frustrating, or whatever.

Thanks, as always,

Craig Steffen

Carl V. Anderson said...

"Seems the more aware I become of the uncertainty and sadness the world is, the more I appreciate every good thing here and now."

That is so true and sometimes hard to convince others to open up to look at life that way. There is, was, and always will be tragedy. Some of our most wonderful and appreciated art, literature, and music was born out of tragedy, but we all have simple pleasures (a sunrise, gazing at the night stars, snuggling in with our kids for to read a favorite story, etc.) that we can easily engage in and open ourselves to all the wondrous joy that is out there.

I am convinced that for every awful, ugly, horrifying thing out there that there is at least an equal if not more powerful good out there in the world, in life. There has to be or the balance of existence would be destroyed. It is just so much easier to have our eyes and our selves filled up with all the tragedy and become hopeless.

I choose hope.