Thursday, May 18, 2006

Boxes and Bitching---whining?

Huge boxes filled with art are headed out in the care of Fed X. My babies!!!! It's always worrisome to send them out. I agonize over the details of the packing. Even after all these years of it, sometimes I'll unpack a box and do it over completely. I imagine angry gorillas jumping on the boxes before tossing them down mountains of jagged rock, until they land on a highway where trucks clip the corners, sending them skidding into the path of a bus and careening onto the soggy banks of a river, where beavers begin to knaw at the corners.

And I pack accordingly.

My wrist is teaching me what my limits are. No-no's are rewarded with teeth-clenching zingers of pain. A new brace that immobilizes my rebelious thumb should take care of some of it.
Things I've discovered that are "NO"

opening any sort of jar or twist cap
turning a door knob
picking up a child
doing nearly anything in the studio
swimming
writing anything with a pen or pencil
giving Ben the finger
doing anything at the speed to which I'm accustomed

Then, this is a trivial thing. Really. I've been working on an outline for my GOH lecture for Balticon.

It's mostly just like this blog, with the same kinds of topics and pictures too. Just live, with gestures and sounds and well, me. So of course there will be silliness. But it's difficult to be silly sometimes, when I watch the news and think of things outside this tiny world I've created for myself. I'm crushed to pointlessness by what I see and hear.

But I go on doing what I do. Because that's what I do.

Back to it then. This week will go by very quickly.

2 comments:

Derek Ash said...

Holy cheese on tuna Batman! I don't read the blog for a few days, and when I come back you've become the before and after of a Cat In the Hat balancing act(complete with goldfish in bowl at the top).

I hope you take it easy, and let yourself heal. You seem, to me anyway, a bit like a caged animal at times... let's hope you can resist the urge to ratle the bars long enough to convalesce properly.

Almost breaking your wrist at a convention while slipping on a piece of your own making (did I read that right?) is the universe's way of telling you that it can royally screw you at any time it wants to... so slow down. (Or its just having fun at your expense. Either way, get better.)

Carl V. Anderson said...

"But it's difficult to be silly sometimes, when I watch the news and think of things outside this tiny world I've created for myself. I'm crushed to pointlessness by what I see and hear."

I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but its the silliness and happiness and making an effort to be aware of what is going on without sucking in the despair of it all that makes things better for you and those around you. What you do, with your art, your sharing of thoughts and ideas, and your participation in things like the upcoming Balticon is what is important about life: making a connection, sharing a bit of yourself with those you come in contact with, inspiring others to take chances, to create, to live. Don't be hard on yourself. Do be silly. And use your other hand for the finger for awhile!