Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 30

Am I any closer to finishing the book I'm working on? I honestly don't know. I make notes, think, make more notes. Sometimes it's right there, so very near, like the elusive solution to an equation that just won't balance. Yet.

I tell myself that the only reason I'm not sitting down and writing this thing is because I'm not ready. It's not ready. But I am writing it. Just not all at once.



This evening finds me strolling down the middle of our street. I smell like citrus and I've a bag of lemons, tangerines and grapefruit from my neighbor two doors down. The sky is the blue of an Arabian Nights tale, complete with a huge round moon. I'm a little tipsy. Nothing fun--just cold meds doing nothing for my symptoms except making me foggy enough not to care so much that my nose is running. Surprisingly, I can still distinguish grapefruit from lemon.

It was eighty two degrees today. Eighty two. And, if I wasn't sneezing enough already, this pavement is dusted with green shoots and pollen. This morning felt like April.

And, just as I close the door behind me, the cold closes in on me. I feel as though I've been hit in the face. So, no more writing. Who has time for colds? No one, but sickness does not discriminate, nor does it wait. Dammit.

No comments: