Photo 01: I have a left over holiday gift box. Any light cardboard will do. Cookie and cereal boxes are the right weight. Wide tape (masking tape is good too) scissors and a roll of bailing wire that can be found at any hardware store.
Photo 02: I open the box and trim it to make neat squares, saving the edges for later.
Photo 03:I roll the first rectangle into roughly a cone, which works well for Poppets. Secured with tape.
Photo 04: I've used the edges to shape the characteristic sharp crease of the poppet's robe and used other strips of edge to reinforce the bottom. I've folded the edges to make it sit flat.
Photo 05: This face is cast in resin from a mold of an original sculpted face. I could also choose to make a new face from clay, or create one from paper mache later.
Photo 06: I'll need to secure the face to the body, so I use a length of bailing wire bent so that the curve fits into the hollow back of the face.
Photo 07: I secure the wire by mixing 2 part casting resin without any sort of filler (e.g. marble chips)
Photo 08: When the resin cures, it becomes opaque.
Photo 09: I use the wire to secure the face to the body shape. The inch or so of wire will serve as a neck armature that I can bend once I decide the figure's expression. I've also attached wire for the arms.
This is a step where a few decisions have to be made. For instance, if the figure will be holding something (like a balloon) this is where the armature for that must be completed.
I'm not planning anything long or large here, but I leave a few extra inches at the ends of the arms so that I have the option later.
This part was learned by trial and error, mostly error, with cussing.
Photo 10: I plan for this particular figure to have branches for 'hair.' It will be a Spring piece and I want five major branches. I know this because of past experience. I also know that if I make five major branches, I can twist and add other smaller branches from these if I want to. Or not, if I don't.
Photo 11: Back to pouring resin. I've left enough depth from the first pour to secure the armature for branches, so I repeat the 1 to 1 casting resin mix.
Photo 12: Here you can see the resin becoming opaque as it cures. It gives off fumes, so I pour this in the garage studio under hooded vent.
Photo 13: almost completely cured. The curing takes about 5 minutes. In summer, it can be as fast as 30 seconds. The mess-ups in hot weather can be spectacular and cartoon-y---drips cured literally in mid-pour. Also with cussing.
More later. Hope you enjoyed this part. Questions and comments very welcomed!