Thursday, September 02, 2010

Simple Plans, The Last Exorcism, Taking a Breath




Orion gets out of school early on Wednesdays. He and his friends swam in the afternoon and the water was almost chilly--almost--but at least not the temperature of bathwater or worse. Soon, it will be the kind of water that wakes us, that challenges us and demands adrenaline. Not yet, but this morning the air was cooler, so we start to think about gearing up the greenhouse. We're more prepared to warm it than to keep it cool. Those last few weeks were... impossible. It's an equation-- to create more energy (food) than we use (electricity.) At a point, there was no getting around it.

It's not over yet. I'm not exactly getting a burst of energy. Mostly the news still scares me and I need a vacation. But being able to breath outside of air conditioning is a start.



Speaking of scaring, Aubrey and I went to see The Last Exorcism. The best thing I can say about it is that we saw a preview for Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. And had candy.


I'll make every effort not to think overly this weekend. My brain needs rest from the thinking and the writing and the making. It's a good investment. One thing I've learned is that you have to rest. I'm full of visions, but creating art follows an equation too. It takes more than vision. It takes energy and direction too. You can't cheat and you can't force it. Not the 'good stuff.' You might push yourself to meet a deadline, but it will never be your best work. That has to come, and you have to prepare the way and let it.
Now I have Soosi to remind me. She who came home when we stopped frantically searching and let her. As I type this, she helps--fishes paper clips out of the holder and rolls around in them.
I hope you have a good weekend. I hope you renew your energy and spirit and have some fun. There is indeed a time for all things, and this weekend might be for re-creation.

g'night

3 comments:

spacedlaw said...

Fall puppet is so gorgeous! She looks like Gaia.

Janet said...

That's how I felt about The Last Exorcism, too LOL! The leaf poppet is beautiful!

KnittyLynn said...

I'm a lurker, but have to tell you how much I love seeing the poppets. Fall poppet is so lovely.