Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Thank you for Thinking

It took about ten years of sculpting and painting every day for me to figure out what my art was trying to say. Now, after years of studying artists, artists' brains and brains in general, I've come to understand that this is the usual amount of time it takes an artist to find his own 'voice'. Oh--- correction, ten years and about a hundred fucked-up side trips...

I love what I do for a living. It's hard, and I don't make nearly as much money as people seem to think. Everyone living in Palm Springs isn't rich. Some of us are just weird. But I am in love with making art and grateful for it. When I finally figured out what my work said visually, I decided to talk about it, and how it's made and where it comes from.

Since I started the journal on Jan 15 of this year, I've received many, many comments and emails that tell me people are reading and thinking. This tells me I'm on the right track, because the purpose of the journal, and SlaughterHouse and most of the work I do, is to encourage independent thinking.

That's it. I'm not writing these things to tell you how to live your lives. I'm writing to tell you about my experiences in and outside of my head and how they lead me to create the art. And to encourage us to think.

So---Thanks for all your emails and comments. Really, really.

Now, off to the studio. for some music, art and brain aerobics...

Lisa
watchlistenthinkforyourselves

3 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Doh! And here I was planning on building my entire life around this site! Damn you! :)

I'm glad you feel free enough to not only share your art with us, but also the process behind it. I'm also glad that you have the courage to share your feelings and opinions without worrying about whether or not the readers agree or disagree.

Thank you!

RuTemple said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RuTemple said...

Thank you for your brain!
still in the middle of the bazillion side trips...
Ruth Temple
SF