Friday, April 01, 2005


Lisa: Tell us about Melinda, and what you'll be working on next.
Dagmara: Melinda was both challenge and pleasure. While it started out as an exercise to get me into comics (Neil’s own words), it soon turned out to be something much more complex and promising, yet it still kept the educational qualities of an exercise – I learned a lot while working on this book. In order to create Melinda’s city, I visited places I didn’t even think they existed, and I mean it literally. On the other hand, a lot of it was just giving shape to things that slumbered somewhere in my mind.

I think the most appealing thing about Melinda is that the poem, with a few words only, calls into existence a world that is as complex as it is ambiguous. I tried to follow Neil’s way and not to get too literal in the pictures, while showing some possible keys to interpret the story. I’ve developed a truly intimate relationship with that book. And I’ve had some of those intense, lucid moments I think of when I say “art”.
I do a lot of small, scattered things now – a book cover here, a CD cover there – gathering strength for something bigger. Another book, maybe, or some oil paintings. I’ll have two big exhibitions this year, so it would be nice to show some new stuff. I have so many ideas – the only thing that I lack is time.


Lisa: Dagmara's webpage will be up in a few weeks. I look forward to posting a link to it. Be sure to check it out.
G'night

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks to you and Dagmara for the interview and accompanying pictures.

It was interesting to see what questions one visual artist might ask another--unique yet relevant to many arts.

I loved the idea of DM's childhood on the move, constantly changing constructed beauty/ugliness.

Unknown said...

This was a great series of Q&As. And best of all, I learned that I'm not the only person in the world to have ever created something while listening to Bowie's 1.OUTSIDE.