Thursday, March 30, 2006

Back in Black


Gregg P.sent this image in. Thanks Gregg, cool treatment, and that's just about how things feel occasionally.
But not today.
A bit of sleep, some food---okay, lots of food. Last night Ben took us all to Simba's, a soul food restaurant in Palm Springs owned by an absolutely charming family, that has a buffet to shame any Deep South church supper from any era. I had collard greens, black eyed peas, gumbo, grits and gravy, corn bread from heaven, fried okra, candied yams and ribs cooked to the absolute approval of my dead great-grandmother Annie McCarey Phillips.

I am HEALED, I tell you. (They don't call it soul food for nothin')

Pete and I saw V for Vendetta. Next week I'll take Aubrey to see it, then for coffee afterwards, because the movie begs questions with complex answers to be considered and discussed with her, sitting down. After all, her education is our responsibility, for now. As always, mostly it's to teach her to think for herself.
Listening to her, I begin to believe the job is nearly done.
Three down, one to go.

If I owe you a rat or other sculpture, feel free to nag me. Otherwise, rest assured they are all going out very soon.

More sleep now. There is art waiting to be made.

g'night

5 comments:

K said...

I am glad you are feeling better.

My puppet-level is currently about seven on the scale of one to ten, but I reckon that's normal when in the middle of trying to buy a house and a week from getting married...

I want to see V for Vendetta too, although I'd hoped it would make clearer some of the things I'd found puzzling about the book, and apparently it doesn't do that at all...

jestersdna said...

Aubrey will be fine. She thinks for herself more than I have for the past 5 years. SIR YES SIR. *sigh* It's all I can do to pry the blinders off and try to remove the stick from my anus.
She'll be just fine. It's us I'm worried about when her super-race of teenage sarcasmics take over the world.
Anyway, it's 5am, do you know where your children are? Well, at least you know where one is, sitting at the computer being a nerd.

Gregg P. said...

Hi Lisa,

thanks for the nod -- glad you enjoyed the treatment of your image.

I'm actually playing around with a variety of treatments of the small "screaming puppet" face as well -- tectures, color manipulations, etc. -- really more of an exercise in learning more about Photo Paint than a hardcore artistic endeavor, but enjoyable nonetheless. If I stumble on any more interesting results I'll forward them your way. Do you mind if I post the results on my blog as well (with attribution to you for your source images, of course)?

Derek Ash said...

I went to see V for Vendetta without ever having read the book. I though the movie was very... moving. It was definitely one of those "Sit the Hell up and THINK!!!" Movies. I hesitate to use the term brilliant, but I remember how electrified I felt at the ending, and wishing I could take the movie home with me right at that moment and watch it again. It was an action movie with surprisingly little action, and a comic-book movie with surprisingly few of the weaknesses often inherent installed in those types of films (especially the ones that the industry will have trouble marketing in a pretty package). It also fell a few times to the temptation of letting melodrama creep in... but I completely forgave it. Melodrama seems to be Hollywood's defense-mechanism when it starts to think too long or hard about any one topic.

Now I want to see "Slither" because it looks hilarious, spooky, AND gross, has evil-brain-worms, mutant freaks, AND zombies, and seems to completely revolt my wife. I can't wait.

Carl V. Anderson said...

Is that a satellite image of me at work this week? TGIF with a very large T!

I enjoyed V well enough. It has some problems as a movie and as a statement about change but it was still very entertaining and had some wonderful moments both visually and aurally.