Monday, October 24, 2005

A Good Day for...Chili

Well, not quite, but hopefully soon. This recipe arrived yesterday from way back East courtesy of Ivory, whom I hope will be attending Balticon next year. I imagine this chili is best served in colder temps. Whoever tries it first, let the rest of us know!

Ivory'’s Hot Diggedy Three Bean Chili

-3 pounds ground chuck - 1 6-ounce can tomato paste

-2 cups coarsely chopped onions - 1 teaspoon salt

-2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic - pepper to taste

-1/4 cup oil - 4 beef bouillon cubes

-1 teaspoon oregano - 1 12-ounce bottle beer (lager or stout work best)

-1/4 cup chili powder - 1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained

-1 teaspoon cumin - 1 15-oz can pinto beans, drained

-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes - 1 15-oz can black beans, drained

-1 15-oz can cut okra, drained - water as needed

(DISCLAIMER: This is my recipe that I developed over the course of many years and many batches of chili. It is based on another recipe that I found and experimented with until I perfected it to my tastes. My challenge to you is to do the same. Use this recipe as your blueprint to go and build your own house. Add and subtract ingredients until youĂ‚’ve made it your own and to your tastes. Good luck and good eating!)

Brown ground chuck in large skillet, stirring until crumbly; drainSauteutĂ‚’e onions and Garlic in oil in skillet for 5-10 minutes. Add oregano, chili powder, cumin, red pepper, Tomato paste, salt and pepper; mix well. Fill a glass with boiling water and dissolve 4 bouillon cubes in it. Stir in bouillon water and bottle of beer (the type of beer you use will affect tflavorour of the chili a lot. Experiment with different types and styles.

I prefer the taste that dark beers give to the mixture such as Stouts and Lagers.
Guinness, Beamish, and Samuel Adams are all good choices.)

Add ground chuck; Mix well.

Add just enough water to make the mixture lightly soupy and easy to Stir.

Simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours (I find a good sized slow cooker is best for This). Add beans and okra, simmer for an hour more. For best flavour I'd advise Chilling overnight and then reheating. Top with cheese and serve with plenty of Bread and beer.

Thanks, Ivory!!

Tomorrow, rain or shine, ready or not, I will make some sort of something of the unsightly old lamp. I will keep you posted as it comes along, or doesn't.

The voice of the late Mr. Blanc calls...

G'night

No comments: