Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Old Business First...


I have new stuff, but pulled out these photos while searching for images for your stories. I thought they deserved to be seen----only a handful of people have ever seen them---and that you'd like seeing them. A Measure of Grace, is the second sculpture ---or third, maybe, that Neil Gaiman bought. He bought this one outright at an art show, much to the chagrin of several collectors who were planning to bid on it. He says there is a story in here. I believe there is too. I wanted to show you the other two pieces I made along with this. I called the series "The Fugue". After I finished the third sculpture, I started Dark Caravan, and didn't make any more for the series. I would have liked to keep them together, but as a struggling artist I couldn't quite manage it. Looking at these images and remembering what it was like to create the pieces fills me with a powerful nostalgia. I want to do this again. I'm not finished with this world and don't want to be. See the companion to "Measure of Grace"

3 comments:

K said...

I have wanted to see that sculpture for ages (ever since I read the introduction to Smoke and Mirrors, in which N. G. mentions it)!

I had pictured the cage bigger, I must admit, but the girl is more cheerful than I imagined, and seems almost motherly towards the jester. Is she an angel too, or just a little girl with wings? Is there a distinction?

sparkling chaos said...

finding this picture not where i remembered it being nearly broke my heart. i had been describing the sculpture to a friend and had hoped to show him. any chance you could email it or repost it? please?

Unknown said...

Hah, I too have been very intrigued to see what Neil was referencing! And somehow I stumbled across the right page! Unfortunately (and i have no idea if youll get this...) the link isnt working anymore?? Ive become an instant fan of your work, Id love to see some of the earlier ones, if it were possible to repost??
Thanks, and my deepest admirations for what you create-
Olivia