Friday, August 18, 2006

At least there's soup

Tomorrow Mimi Ko will be here to do a portrait of me. I'm not feeling very photogenic. I'm spending lots of time in the studio---which is a very good thing---but that means I haven't spent any time on me and have lots of scratches and a manicure to rival Big Foot.

I was starting to get really down last night, likely from exhaustion. I decided to go for one of my favorite comfort foods----a big handful of Cheez-Its floating in a bowl of Campbells vegetarian veggie soup.
I sat cross-legged on the sofa with my bowl. Pink Floyd played from the ipod and CNN was on, without sound.

Thankfully, I had my soup. shudder

Earlier, I got this in an email from Jordan's Mom:

This is an interesting quote from a blog essay by Jamison Foser, quoted in an article by Peter Daou on the Crooks and Liars weblog....

"The defining issue of our time is not the Iraq war. It is not the "global war on terror." It is not our inability (or unwillingness) to ensure that all Americans have access to affordable health care. Nor is it immigration, outsourcing, or growing income inequity. It is not education, it is not global warming, and it is not Social Security.

The defining issue of our time is the media.

The dominant political force of our time is not Karl Rove or the Christian Right or Bill Clinton. It is not the ruthlessness or the tactical and strategic superiority of the Republicans, and it is not your favorite theory about what is wrong with the Democrats.

The dominant political force of our time is the media.

Time after time, the news media have covered progressives and conservatives in wildly different ways — and, time after time, they do so to the benefit of conservatives."


On a happier note. The order form for the Balticon DVD is up. Just to remind you, it has all the GOH speeches and panels from the main hall, including Gene Wolfe's lecture and a very funny Neil reading of his new "Orange" story.
You can get it here:
http://www.lisasnellings.com/Balticon40DVDmailorder.pdf.

Now, off to make art.



4 comments:

faerydusted1 said...

I'm sure your portrait sitting will turn out great.

When I was in college I took a class on sensation and perception. The professor talked a lot about pinhole cameras and monkeys and laughter, but I got to meet Alan Alda (who I made laugh- my claim to fame in life), so the class was totally worth it. What I really walked away with, however, was that my understanding of what was 'fact' was more than likely completely different than what the person sitting next to me perceived as 'fact'.

I keep coming back to this whenever I think about politics, and especially "objective media".

Carl V. Anderson said...

I look forward to seeing how your portrait turns out...I assume you'll be sharing with us? :)

jordan's mom said...

Hey Lisa -

I just heard about your Chelsey nomination. Congratulations!! Which piece is it for?

Dan Guy said...

I love Cheez-Its, in spite of my fear of cheese-aping products that are too far removed from actual cheese so as to require an alternate spelling.

I agree with Foser about the media defining our time. I think its influence is already on the decline after maybe a decade heyday, but who knows for how long it will wane.