Saturday, August 07, 2010

Lavender and Sanity

I've mentioned before that I'm making changes to decrease the environmental footprint of the studio. One of the new mold rubbers I've tried recently becomes a beautiful shade of lavender once mixed. That's not the weird part. The weird part is that it smells like lavender. Or lavender candy. Or any candy the color of lavender. I thought it might be a figment of my imagination. But no, I've asked others and they agree. Now, normally mold rubber isn't horribly toxic, but it's not something you want to breathe. Weirdness.
I imagine the evil villain with the biological weapon. The airborne something contained in colorful bubbles that on bursting, release the scent of freshly baked cookies. Or lavender candy.
Evil, evil, evil! The brain is a terrible thing.

On a more positive and practical note, I mixed a bit more rubber than I needed, so I poured the extra into a plastic picnic plate. Nothing, and I mean nothing, sticks to mold rubber, so it makes a pretty handy palette for acrylic paints. You just rinse it when you're done working, or peel the paint off after it dries. It also makes a good work surface for tiny objects like watch parts, or a really good no-slip pad for a vase or even a piece of furniture.

***

It's been a difficult summer for me. Without a doubt it's been a difficult summer for lots of you too. It's always a bit of a conflict, writing about the process. On the one hand, I like the idea of sharing these growing pains as they happen. On the other, I know from experience that a little time will give me perspective, and then what I write would be more useful (and probably more coherent.)
I've given serious thought to letting Poppet do the talking. But then, Poppets don't have mouths.

Exactly.

This begins to make sense in a way that makes me a little dizzy. Like when you look at the stars and truly contemplate the distance. When you look at the moon and are so grateful it's there.



****


There are some great new images up for Poppets on Tour: The Project. Already I'm finding photos there that inspire words for the book. Thanks to everyone contributing.

***

Ok. There's too much noise in this house. I can't concentrate as well as I'd like, so I'll leave you with this blank to fill in:

"I'm most sane when I'm_________________."

You don't have to share it here, but it will be more fun if you do.

I'm going to look for a quiet spot.
g'night

13 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm most sane when I'm sleeping.

guerrilla girl said...

I'm most sane when I'm traveling. Alone.

J.W.B. said...

I am most sane when I am sitting huddled at the computer animating new worlds.

:)

Been thinking hard about Halloween plots...everything I come up with is too happy. I'd like it to be quite scary and maybe have a happy realization ending, like that shadow idea you had.


I also have some small parts from a spinny lock that I destroyed...there was one very small steampunky piece I thought would look great on a Poppet. I'll have to mail it to you if I can find it. lol.

Drinne said...

I am most sane when I'm in rehearsal.

Melissa P said...

I'm most sane when I stop trying so hard.

Hope you are finding ways to get through the heat. (Thought of you and the windmills as I read Justin Cronin's The Passage.)

Lauren said...

Hi Lisa,

I am working for the American Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore, MD where one of your collectors has loaned some of your works for an upcoming show. I would love to get in contact with you to get some basic biographical information for the show. You can contact me at laurenmwebb@gmail.com

Thanks, and love the blog!

Diandra said...

I am most sane when I am writing.

(I am most insane when I am writing.)

Amy said...

I am most sane when I am outdoors, away from people in the desert or the mountains.

gigi said...

I am most sane when I am reading or in a mountain cave; reading in a mountain cave would be nice but I'd need a comfy chair.

:-)

DavidK said...

"I'm most sane when I'm_________________."

Ah, but whose perception of 'sane'? Mine, or the rest of the world (or at least those in reasonable proximity to me)?

I feel the most sane when I'm deeply involved in examining data and the pieces start to come together, but I doubt that an outside observer would take away the same impression.

I expect that I appear the most sane when I'm out and about, interacting with friends in a relaxed social environment. That, however, might be an elegant facade, or the absolute truth...

lisa said...

Thanks everyone for your answers. I'm starting to see a trend. Seems there's definitely a distraction factor. We seem to do better when concentrating on a single thing.

Lauren: Thanks! Emailed you.

WV: shillybd. Sometime I think I should make poppets based on the 'words' I find here.

ravyn said...

Lauren - May i email you about the exhibit? i work with Lisa and i'm on the BoD of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society. i'd like to talk to you about what's going on with the exhibit :-)

- ravyn (Nora Wright)

Megan D said...

I'm most sane when I'm driving alone in the car, singing at the top of my lungs to some daggy 80's song. It takes me back to a more innocent time when all was right with the world.