Wednesday, June 13, 2012

How motivation is working out, so far.


On Motivation and Inspiration.   The latter was quiet, but near.  I think I heard him scuttle about in one dark corner.  I didn't dwell on it, because once I started to work in earnest, I fell into a rhythm and began to chip away at things that needed my attention.
  I finally was able to finish The Hanged Man Tarot poppet.   I understood why it took so long, finally, because once it was done, I experienced the relief of catharsis.
  I've been the hanged man. But then, you likely already know that.

  Then I finished The Empress who, in person, looks as though she might rise from her seat at any moment.  Neil mentioned the Tarot poppets on Twitter and several people suggested I start a kickstarter project for that.  I think though, I'll continue as is and let it develop over time.   Each time I get a commission for one of the major arcana, I collect the images that will become the cards.  I don't know that this will be the first Tarot deck created from images of three-dimensional work, but I like that aspect.  I'm falling in love with the idea of a poppet deck, for sure.
 The first kickstarter project I try will be for the book.  I haven't talked about it much lately because I was apparently busy figuring things out whilst hanging upside-down on a metaphorical living cross. 

  Since Sunday, I've spent my studio hours finishing and packing pieces ordered on Etsy.  By letting go of what was becoming a frantic search for inspiration, I was able to find a great deal of satisfaction in paying attention to details of this aspect of my work.  All the while though, I sense that I'm no longer in a holding pattern. More and more often as I work I'm stopping to make notes.  This might be what's stirring up the clawed creature that will eventually transform me into the creative Hyde that connects the dots and writes and makes large things that move about.

  I'm a romantic at heart.  I like the idea of trekking out into the wild to find and conquer my muse.  But I've lived this artistic life long enough to know that every day isn't that day.   In the meantime, there are poppets, whom I love and who love me.

  So I'm working quietly, hardly glancing at that corner.  Whatever's there in the shadows will leap out at me when it's ready.  Or when I am.


10 comments:

Sue said...

Your blog posts are some of the most inspirational things I read. I always take a little bit of your words away with me to ponder over throughout the week. Your poppets make me smile, and the one who lives with me, and watches over me while I create and work, is a treasured friend. I hope he has brothers and sisters soon. :)

A. K. Francis said...

If you make a poppet tarot deck, I WILL buy that deck. I have been in love with your poppets since I first set eyes on this blog. And a poppet deck is just too much wonderfulness for me to deal with.

Thank you for poppets, Lisa. They mean so much to me. (from the bottom of my heart)

lisa said...

Sue and firespark: Kind words and encouragement. What a great way to end this day. Thank you both--from me and poppets too.

Diandra said...

I need to get rich, so I can have a complete poppet tarot set in my witchy room. They are so gorgeous!

DavidK said...

Gorgeous poppets! I love the details in both of them.

Dropped a small package in the mail for you today - you should get it at the beginning of the week.

Anonymous said...

Lisa, which ones are you afraid to tackle? I am totally tempted to comission the difficult ones :)

Rob
guardianalienstudio

lisa said...

Diandra: Thank you.

DavidK: I'm excited! Always cool stuff in your packages.

I will email you soon. I'm working on the script for the video. I'll send you that and images if you're still game.

lisa said...

Rob: Would be delighted. I don't think I'm afraid of any of them. I'm afraid of the Kickstarter project. I'm afraid of writing my book. I seem to be working on them anyway. But indeed, some are more challenging than others! I can post photos together of all the ones I've done so far. then you can choose what you'd like to see. I like challenges.

DavidK said...

Lisa - I'm still willing to help - I've got some end of the month deadlines, but after that I'm mostly free. The package is more of a pick-me-up than an intriguing bit of kit...

Valya said...

Lisa, I love love love the tarot cards so far.

Have you met/heard of Janet Berres? She's a tarot goddess. I will have to introduce you via facebook. Email forthcoming....

Midsummer Blessings!