Sunday, September 06, 2009

a finish and a gift


Today I finished a painting I've been working on for weeks. That felt good. I stood back and crossed my arms and said, "Ok, I'm calling it."
I didn't look at the clock.
It's for the World Fantasy Convention cover. I took photos. I look forward to telling you about how it came to be and showing you the details.
Yesterday while driving, I saw a man watering his flower garden. He looked to be at least 80. He was dressed only in a pair of pale blue dolphin shorts. He was bald and bent and very thin. I could see the knobs of his spine. He had a face of peace and fullness. He must've noticed that I slowed, because he glanced up at me.

His eyes were full of stories. I broke into the grin of a child. I couldn't help myself.

He was beautiful.

g'night

3 comments:

Drinne said...

Mazel Tov on the completion of your piece!

WV is dreinipp which is what mermaids use instead of gyroscopes.

Loraine said...

I love seeing such beautiful people, and it's amazing how many beautiful elderly people there really are.

lisa said...

drinne: thanks! I dunno, dreinipp might be what Poppets get when they sneak sips of your tea.

Loraine: my first drawing class taught me to look for beauty in every face. I've always been grateful for it, because once I learned to see it, it was always there. I constantly wonder why modern civilation can't find a way to profit without telling 99% of us that we're ugly. silly, silly humans